"It is by the goodness of god that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them." Mark Twain
This quote from Mark is quite accurate. We all certainly think what we want and some of us say what we want. However, most of us know when to say the things we think. Twain is saying that though we think and say what we choose, we often don't. It seems he thinks we don't ever actually prctice these freedoms. Whether we are indeed being prudent about it I don't know. Some of us I think fear actually saying what we think. We get caught up in the daily grind and forget to speak what we really think. Twain is making it sound as though we are prudent and don't practice either of these because we are being cautious about creating a controversey in our society. Whatever take on the quote I think it could be looked at either way.
Adam?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment