3.02.2006

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only ligh can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."-Dr. Martin Luther King

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only ligh can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."-Dr. Martin Luther King

Dr. King was a pacifist and believed that hatred and prejudice could be fought with love. Do you agree with him? Do you think that in all situations a peaceful reponse is the correct one?

I think that situations should be fought with peace and love to a certain point. I definitely don't believe violence is the answer but sometimes it can't be avoided. We were attacked by terrorists and all the peace and love in the world wasn't going to make us feel safer. We needed to defend ourselves and by doing so we got involved in physical action. But I do agree that hate cannot drive out hate. I'm not sure if "love" will drive out hate, but maybe understanding. If we understand we are informed. I think information and awareness is part of a peaceful response but it only works if the other group is willing to bend. If not then action, not necessarily violence needs to occur.

No comments: