12.23.2007

Life Plan

Sometimes at work, when it is really slow, I like to anticipate how the rest of my life will/should turn out in terms of my career and family life.

I think of a guy, he's not always real, and when we start to date. I imagine all the magnificent dates we go on. It's not always roses, I imagine our arguments and possible hiccups along the way. Eventually we reach an engagement and a wedding. The kids follow and I even go so far as to figure out the best time for them to be born. I meticulously plan so that I have all three by the time I'm 30. Two boys then a girl. Easton, Kellen, and Delaney. We live in a Mckennan parkish style house but not in Sioux Falls, we live in Loveland Colorado. I have a flexible part time job as an RN in a women's health clinic. Mitch teaches phy ed and health during the school year and does construction in the fall. We are not wealthy but slightly above average. Easton is a brain and athlete (hockey of course). He looks like his father but has my eyes. He's quiet most of the time until you crack his shell. Kellen is not as smart as Easton but he is a hockey stud and will probably go on to play for the Mavericks in college. He was also good at baseball. Kellen is the clown and often doesn't know when to shut it. He's a mix between his parents. Delaney is quick witted and intelligent. She inherited her mothers love for reading. She devours books and had the Harry Potter series read by the time she finished 3rd grade. She also dabbled in the marching band but she took her mother's advice and did not play the flute. She's a good athlete and held her own as a competitive swimmer...

That's as far as I got today...

Now, I am really not a crazy person. I realize it is kind of ridiculous that I can sit there and think this all out. I in no way expect my life to turn out this perfect. I just think it is fun to consider all the possibilities. And it will be hilarious to see how it really turns out. It is interesting to see how your life changes from year to year (I only do this once a year...when I work at the WC) Last year I think I had 4 or 5 kids and was a stay at home mom. There is no way that that interests me now. Also, I think I wanted to have all my kids by the time I was 27. That's ridiculous. I've become more anti-children lately. Not anti-children but I'm in no hurry what so ever to have them. When they come they come but I am gonna make sure I have plenty of time for just me and my husband first. I mean I know it sounds kind of selfish but I would like to use my generous RN's salary for myself for awhile before it all goes to diapers and baby food.

I read a book once where a woman had a life plan. She had a time table for everything: career, marriage, kids, promotion. She had everything pinpointed for when it should happen by. Well, obviously her life didn't go according to plan and she went crazy and headed down to Buenos Aries. Anyway, I realize that making a plan for how you want your life to go will only set you up for disappointment. It's ok to have an idea of where you are headed but you shouldn't have a freakin GPS telling you every turn and stop. I just make a plan or a fantasy to see how far off or how close to the mark I actually fall.

I am so excited to start the nursing program in the fall. It's a next step in my plan. I've been headed in this direction for awhile but now I've finally reached and ultimately have to take it. (it's a little late to change my major and believe me I've thought about it). It's the next step to where my life is headed and I think I'm ready.

1 comment:

ah said...

Delaney. That girl is going to get beat up. Laney would be a good abbreviation. :)
I think sometimes I try to navigate with a GPS. It scares me to think abotu what I'll be doing in the near future, like in a year. I just want to KNOW, because I'm positive that whatever it is, it will make me happy. Waiting is hardest.