That may or may not be clear but I don't care I'm sick of writing about it.
1.10.2008
Back to School
Mostly it feels good to be back. Sioux Falls provides for me a nice place where I can completely relax and recharge my batteries. I love that Sioux Falls is not a typical "college town." Yes Augie and USF are there but they don't dominate the population. I don't worry about my appearance as much at home. I don't worry about who might see me and who might not. I like the fact that I don't drive around town desperately trying to see every driver and whether or not I recognize them. I love being at school but at the same time there feels to be too much pressure. I am literally surrounded by thousands of my peers. Every which way I look there is someone around who is my age. I can't help but feel we are all looking at each other and judging. I know it's weird and probably just me. It just feels like we're all in this competition. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel very much on display when coming back to school. It's amazing the change I feel once I pull of 169 onto Riverfront. Long gone is the relative anonymity of Sioux falls and in an instant this flash of self-consciousness races through my mind. I push it to the back of my mind and remind myself that you don't have to change a thing. However, it still sticks in the back of my mind and causes me to be much more aware of my surroundings. When I'm walking to class or to my car I make sure I know 7 people in advance coming toward me. No one takes me by surprise. By doing this I can decide who warrants me making eye contact or just looking down and scurrying past. Just once I would like to be able to walk down a hall and not notice anyone. I am forever swiveling my head this way and that I see everyone who sees me. I have this overwhelming need to please people. I can't stand it when I think someone may be mad or annoyed with me. At the same time though I have no problem stating how or what I feel if it's a legitimate defense. Sometimes though I think back and feel that I may have overreacted. It's really hard to just be yourself. I try every day to just be me. It's so hard though because I am easily swayed by my surroundings and the people around me. I feel like a slightly different "me" in Mankato than in Sioux Falls. I guess as long as I am not completely changing who I am it's ok. Ultimately I think this feeling comes from going to a large school. I see new people every day. You don't know where you stand. There is less familiarity or at least you have to work harder at becoming familiar.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment